Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Do you think it's -2 degrees in New Orleans?


Of course not, but here in the frigid north we are still enjoying beignets. I went to New Orleans when I was about 10. We went to Cafe' du Mond for these delicious little fritters and I've never forgotten them. My mom would occasionally pull out the box of beignet mix at home. Even though they were from a box, they were still WONDERFUL. I had to walk away before I ate more than my fair share.

I used the Challah recipe from _Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day_. You can use the Brioche dough, also. I found the brioche a little over the edge with 8 eggs and 1 1/2 cups of butter (remember that is for 4 loaves). This only have 4 eggs and 1/2 cup of butter (for 4 loaves). Little Princess helped me mix up the dough last night before bed. I WAS going to make cinnamon rolls this morning. However, the dough was too sticky last night and they take an hour to rise. Everyone was hungry. These were ready in 30 minutes. The kids had yogurt and oatmeal while they waited, lest you think I only serve them doughnuts.

I need to go have something a little more nutritional now along with my cafe' au lait.

I'll be milling flour and cornmeal today. I'll post pictures of the process for those who don't have a home mill.

No comments:

Post a Comment