Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The new snack of choice

The three year old is making progress on trying new foods...not going on a food jag so much anymore.

His new favorite "snack" and meal is:  Sunbutter and Strawberry Jelly Pizza."  I use the Wheat Free, Egg Free, Dairy Free Brioche I adapted from Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day.  I grab a egg sized portion of dough.  It gets rolled flat between two pieces of parchment paper and tossed, while on the parchment paper into a preheated 450 degree oven for five minutes.  I let it cool for a few minutes and add Sunbutter and Strawberry Jelly.  Yummy snack and it doesn't mess with his (or any of his siblings') allergies. 

Hooray!

By the way, we did try goat's milk last week.  He took one drink, declaring it "Yucky."  Then, he proceeded to break out into hives and wheeze a little.  I think we'll wait to introduce any type of animal milk to him for awhile.

I also have found two new things EVERYONE can snack on here:  Breakfast cookies made with GF All-purpose flour AND no-bake oatmeal cookies.  We have found that oatmeal does not bother him.  We have no issues with eczema, hives or wheezing when he has it and we've moved to eating it 5 days a week for breakfast.  Sometimes he has the Sunbutter and Strawberry Jelly Pizza for breakfast and other times he has something I make to match others' breakfast like GF/EF/DF pancakes, waffles or muffins. 

I fear admitting this, sure that Bearing will have words with me, but I have fallen in love with Gluten Free Bisquick.  I plan to reformulate my own version using brown rice flour since it's marginally better than white rice flour, but the boxed stuff, with a few alterations, makes pancakes, waffles and muffins he will actually eat.  Contrast that to the huge amounts of money I've spent on other mixes producing vile smelling rejects, GF Bisquick is cheaper (comparatively) and highly reliable.  A 3 cup box still runs almost as much as a 3lb box of regular Bisquick, but I wouldn't admit that why I know that ;-).  Through Amazon's Subscribe and Save, I can get the GF Bisquick for much cheaper than at the local Cub.

3 comments:

  1. Hello,
    'Found your blog while looking for SunButter recipes, and delighted that SunButter is part of the latest 'snack of choice' for your little guy. As a SunButter blogger (and like-minded mom/baker/etc.), I'm looking forward to following your road. Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be ridiculous, we both know that your kiddo needs calories more than he needs everything else. Even though I don't like to cook from mixes, for heaven's sake, allergic people need as many options as possible.

    What I want you to do is tell me exactly how you use the GF Bisquick. It works really well for pancakes, but we tried to make shortcakes with it a while ago when we were cooking for our friend with celiac sprue, and the shortcakes were so short they were pancakes. If you have figured out how to use the GF bisquick reliably, please post on it, because I would probably use it from time to time when I want to make something GF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the late reply! Here's what I find GF Bisquick needs:

    For each cup of GF Bisquick used add 1 Tbsp fat added and 1/8 tsp. Xanthan gum.

    When you add those two ingredients, we've had success using every regular Bisquick recipe I've ever used such as chocolate chip muffins and Belgian waffles. My other taste testers say they taste almost identical.

    ReplyDelete