Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Breakfast A La Dr. Seuss

My kids came to me with this book on Sunday night with a request to make some recipes.



We've had this book for years and we love the recipes!

This morning we had Blueberry Bumplings, Schlopp with a Cherry on Top and Glunker Stew.  What a lovely Red, White and Blue table we had this morning to remember those who gave ALL so we could be free.

The Blueberry Bumplings are Blueberry Scones, which my 4 year old made almost by himself.

The Schlopp is Quinoa Oatmeal Granola with Strawberry Yogurt on top, topped with, of course a cherry.

Finally, Glunker Stew is homemade chunky apple sauce served over fresh blueberries and raspberries, sprinkled with dried cherries.

I must say the recipes are surprisingly healthy.  I used 1/2 whole wheat flour for the scones.  Otherwise everything was great. They also use fruit for color, because most of these crazy concoctions are very colorful!  For example, Pink Yink Ink Drink, which I did not make today is a combination of blackberries, raspberries and milk.

Hope your Memorial Day was wonderful!  We sure enjoyed the beautiful weather along with some very meaningful trips to Ft. Snelling, including the cemetery and the historic fort.

1 comment:

  1. Hey scholar :) I just might have to get that cookbook.... I had always assumed that the recipes would be horribly fattening sugary concoctions... It's wonderful to know that's not the case. I would like to be more creative with some of the things I cook, and a Seuss book would be just the thing to jump start my cooking creativity :)

    ReplyDelete