Monday, February 2, 2009

Quick Crepes for Breakfast


My dear husband did my Sam's Club run again yesterday while I napped. He came home with 2 huge containers of strawberries ($3.88 EACH!!!!), raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. To say we are berry fanatics would be an understatement. I love my husband...he knows what I love.

So, to celebrate the berry wonderful occasion, we had crepes for breakfast this morning. My crepes are not the super thin, see through, fall apart crepes. Those are for big people and I have little people here who cry when their crepes fall apart, so we adapted. These are very easy folks, so don't be intimidated! Oh and we don't need whipped cream around here to enjoy crepes, although they are very good when we do have it.

Here's the recipe:

Crepes for Kids HUGE BATCH SIZE feeds 5 kids and 2 adults
3 eggs
3 c. milk (substitute, in our case)
3 Tbsp melted butter
3 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
dash of vanilla
2 1/2 c. Bisquick

Heat a griddle or electric fry pan on medium high heat. Whisk eggs, milk, butter, sugar and oil with vanilla. Add Bisquick and whisk until smooth. Butter the skillet generously. The butter should melt immediately or it is not hot enough.

Pour 1/4 c. measure of batter and spread with the bottom of the cup. They should bubble on top right away.

As soon the edges are set or brown, slide a rubber spatula under the middle, lift and flip. Really, they shouldn't tear if they are cooked to a medium brown. Cook on the other side until just golden.

My skillet is big enough to do two at a time. Your mileage may vary. This goes really quick, so have someone else getting the inside ingredients ready or have them done beforehand. Don't take your toddler to the potty. Don't decide to make a cup of coffee. Stay there so they don't burn. IF by chance the first two aren't perfect. Eat them as a test case (that's what always happens here even when they are perfect). My kids hover, asking to test them, too. Most of the time I share :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment