Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My new favorite NO KNEAD Wheat Bread




H/T to Margaret, my favorite blogger, ever, (aka Minnesota Mom) for recommending the book _Mitten Strings for God: Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry_ by Katrina Kenison. Anyone who knows me, knows this book was written for me. I book way too much into my calendar. I tend to do TOO MUCH. I have taken much advice from this book since dear Margaret recommended it here. My dear husband bought it for me for Christmas last year.

There is a recipe in there that I've been meaning to try called "Wonder Bread". It's not called that because it's like the trademarked bread of the same name, but because it always works. We tried it today (and yes, I did soak the whole wheat flour). It is not 100% whole wheat and that is okay with me.

So, if you are thinking, I can't make bread. Especially, I can't make wheat bread because I don't have a bread machine or a Kitchenaid or a Bosch Universal mixer. You are WRONG. My 9 year old Little Woman did it - herself (except the soaking the flour and oats part - I did that yesterday).

It's delicious. Here's the recipe:
Wonderbread from _Mitten Strings for God_

In a large bowl combine:
4 Tbsp. oil
4 Tbps. honey
3 Tbsp. salt

Add:
8 cups warm water
2 Tbsp instant yeast

Sit for 5 minutes.

Add:
7 c. white flour
7 c. whole wheat flour
2 c. oatmeal

Mix with a spoon or hands (as Little Woman did both). When done, split dough into two batches, moving one batch to an oiled bowl. Cover both and allow to rise for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled. Punch down dough and place in oiled pans (we halved the recipe and it made 3 - 9"x5" loaves). Rise again. Place in a preheated 400 degree oven for 40 minutes.

Again, I halved the recipe, soaking the oats and whole wheat flour beforehand using this modified version of the recipe:


Half batch of Wonderbread from _Mitten Strings for God_ using soaked whole wheat flour and oats

In a large bowl, combine:
3 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. oatmeal
3 c. warm water
3 Tbsp. cider vinegar or lemon juice

Allow to sit, covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel for 12-24 hours. Then, in a large bowl combine:
2 Tbsp. oil
2 Tbps. honey
1 Tbsp. salt

Add:
1 cups warm water
1 1/2 Tbsp instant yeast

Sit for 5 minutes.

Add:
3 1/2 c. white flour
The messy blob of whole wheat, oatmeal and water that sat overnight.

Mix with a spoon or hands (as Little Woman did both). When done, split dough into two batches, moving one batch to an oiled bowl. Cover both and allow to rise for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled. Punch down dough and place in oiled pans (we halved the recipe and it made 3 - 9"x5" loaves). Rise again. Place in a preheated 400 degree oven for 40 minutes.

One last note (added later)...The book says this could be refrigerated. Sounds like ABI5MAD to me! Oh, and Little Woman reminded me to tell you this is VERY sticky dough!

No comments:

Post a Comment