Thursday, November 5, 2009

Questions about wheat and mills...


A friend emailed me about what kind of mill I use and types of wheat to buy when making 100 % Whole Wheat Bread. Here is what I had to say on the matter:

With regard to mills and wheat berries? I have a Nutrimill. It’s loud (they all are) and dusty. I got my last batch of wheat berries from my local whole food co-op. Unless you want to buy LOTS or go in on a group buy, it can be expensive to buy it mail order (because it is so heavy to ship or you have to go help unload the semi truck).

Wheat comes in a couple of varieties:
White and red
Hard and Soft
White is milder
Spring and Winter

White is milder tasting wheat
Red is stronger tasting wheat
Hard has more protein and is suitable for breads
Soft has less protein and is better for baking pastries, cookies, pies, etc
Winter wheat is harvested as a second crop and has slightly less protein than Spring wheat

My favorite for bread is:
Winter Hard White Wheat

No comments:

Post a Comment